Apple Cheddar Spread
Type: Appetizers and Snacks
Finely chopped apples give this creamy cheddar spread a sweet flavor.
Serves: 3 1/4 cups (1 Tablespoon servings)
- 1 block (8 ounces) nonfat or reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped peeled tart apples (about 2 medium)
- 3/4 cup shredded nonfat or reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped dates
- Place the cream cheese and cottage cheese in a food processor, and process until smooth. Stir in the apples, Cheddar cheese, and dates. Transfer the spread to a serving dish, cover, and chill for several hours.
- Serve with whole grain bagel slices, whole grain crackers, celery sticks, and apple wedges dipped in pineapple juice to prevent browning.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.