Water chestnuts and soy sauce give an Asian flavor to the classic buffet meatball.
Serves: Serves: 6
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup nonfat beef broth
- 1/4 cup + 2/3 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup canned water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2/3 cup apricot jam
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, egg substitute, beef broth, 1/4 cup water, water chestnuts, celery and horseradish in medium bowl; mix until ingredients are blended.
- Form mixture into small balls and arrange in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Combine remaining ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes. Meatballs can be cooled to room temperature, refrigerated and reheated or frozen. Store sauce in separate container.
- To serve: Defrost sauce and pour into saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add meatballs; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until meatballs are heated through.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.