Bacon, Cheddar, and Pecan Spread
This is an especially creamy spread filled with bacon, cheddar, and pecan flavors.
Serves: 3 cups (1 Tablespoon servings)
- 1 block (8 ounces) nonfat or reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup nonfat or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded nonfat or reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 4 slices extra-lean turkey bacon, cooked, drained, and crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Place the cream cheese, cottage cheese, mayonnaise, and pepper in a food processor, and process until smooth. Add all of the remaining ingredients, and process just until well mixed. Transfer the spread to a serving dish, cover, and chill for several hours or overnight.
- Serve with whole grain crackers, sliced bagels, and fresh-cut vegetables, or use as a stuffing for celery or as a filling for finger sandwiches.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.