Blue Cheese, Pear, and Caramelized Onion Pizzas
Melted blue cheese on grill bread and topped with pear and onion create a pizza your family will go crazy for.
Serves: Serves 4 to 6 as an appetizer
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 red onions, peeled and sliced into thin rings
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 recipe Grill Bread, shaped into 4 rounds but not cooked
- 2 ripe but firm pears, cored and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese of your choice
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
- On the stove top, heat 3 tablespoons of the extra virgin olive oil in a large sautï¿½ pan or skillet over medium heat until it is hot but not smoking. Add the onions, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and sautï¿½, stirring occasionally, until the onions start to soften (about 5 minutes). Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook, stirring often, until the onions are well caramelized (20-30 minutes).
- While the onions are cooking, build a fire in your grill. When the coals are all ignited, the flames have died down, and the temperature is medium (see Gauging the temperature), you're ready to cook.
- When the onions are ready, brush the bread rounds on both sides with the remaining 3 tablespoons oil, then place on the grill directly over the coals and cook until nicely toasted and brown on one side (about 4 minutes). Flip the bread over and top each round with a pile of caramelized onions, then arrange the pear slices over the onions and scatter the blue cheese on top. Invert a foil pan over the pizzas and continue to cook until the cheese starts to melt (3-4 minutes more).
- Cut the pizzas into wedges with a large, sharp knife, arrange on a platter, sprinkle with parsley, and serve.
Excerpted from Grill It!.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!