Broccoli Baked Potato Skins
Small baking potatoes, filled with sour cream, chopped broccoli, and cheddar cheese, are tasty and healthy appetizers.
Serves: 12 appetizers
- 6 small baking potatoes (each about 3 inches long)
- 3/4 cup frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3/4 cup shredded nonfat or reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Nonstick butter-flavored cooking spray
- 3/4 cup nonfat or light sour cream
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- If using a conventional oven, wrap the potatoes in aluminum foil, and bake at 400°F for about 35 minutes, or until tender. If using a microwave oven, pierce each potato in several places with a fork and microwave on high power for about 12 minutes, or until tender. Set aside to cool.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out and discard the pulp, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell. Place 1 tablespoon of broccoli in each skin, and top with 1 tablespoon of cheese. Spray the tops of the stuffed potatoes lightly with the cooking spray.
- Arrange the potato skins on a baking sheet, and bake at 450°F for about 12 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly. Transfer the skins to a serving platter, top each with 1 tablespoon of sour cream and a sprinkling of scallions, and serve hot.
- Variation: To make Spicy Chicken Skins, combine 3/4 cup of shredded cooked chicken breast, 2 tablespoons of picante sauce, and 1 teaspoon of chili powder. Substitute this mixture for the broccoli, top with the cheese, and bake.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.