Type: Appetizers and Snacks
Melted cheese is somehow the definition of delicious. This dish is easy to make and fun to eat.
Serves: Serves 4
- 1⁄2 lb. shredded or grated Gruyere cheese
- 1⁄2 lb. shredded or grated Swiss cheese
- 2 tsp. crushed garlic<
- 11⁄2 cups dry white wine
- >1⁄2 tsp. nutmeg
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 loaf crusty white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Mix shredded Gruyere and Swiss cheeses.
- In a medium saucepan, heat garlic and wine to a bare simmer over low heat.
- When wine reaches a simmer, slowly stir in cheese mixture a spoonful at a time, stirring until melted, then adding the next spoonful.
- When mixture is melted, smooth, and just beginning to bubble, stir in nutmeg and black pepper.
- Distribute bread pieces, dunk in cheese, and enjoy.
Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to 20-Minute Meals © 2003 by CWL Publishing Enterprises, Inc., John Woods, President. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon's website or call 1-800-253-6476.