These small cream puffs are filled with a blend of cheese, herbs, and spices
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 50 mins
Serves: makes 16 puffs
- 4 tbsp butter, plus more for the baking sheet
- 1 / 2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted, plus more for the baking sheet
- pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 / 4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
For the filling
- 5oz (140g) low fat cream cheese with garlic and herbs
- 2 tbsp low fat milk
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- pinch of cayenne
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 / 4 cup freshly grated Parmesan or sharp Cheddar, or crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Bring the butter and 1/2 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from the heat and quickly beat in the flour and salt with a wooden spoon. Return to very low heat and stir until the dough is smooth and very lightly films the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from the heat and cool 5 minutes. Gradually stir in the beaten egg until the dough is glossy and thick. Stir in the cheese.
- Butter and flour a baking sheet. Using 2 dessert spoons, drop 16 balls of the dough, spaced well apart, on the baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until puffed and golden.
- Remove from the oven and use a sharp knife to make a slit in the side of each puff to allow the hot steam to escape. Transfer the puffs onto a wire cake rack and let cool.
- For the filling, mix the ingredients until combined. Split each puff open and fill with a teaspoon of the mixture. Serve at room temperature.
- prep 10 mins; cook 50 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!