Type: Appetizers and Snacks
This classic, quick, and easy appetizer can be served with drinks at any occasion
Prep Time: 20M
Cooking Time: 15M
Serves: makes approx 40
- one 17.3oz ( 484g) package thawed frozen puff pastry ( 2 sheets)
- all-purpose flour, for dusting
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp whole milk
- butter, for the baking sheets
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). One sheet at a time, roll out the thawed puff pastry on a lightly floured surface into a 14x10in (35x25cm) rectangle, trimming the edges to neaten.
- Combine the cheeses. Spread 1 tbsp mustard over the top half of each pastry sheet, leaving a 1/2in (12mm) border, then top with half of the grated cheeses.
- Mix together the egg yolk and milk, then brush lightly around the exposed borders on the pastries.
- Fold over the pastries and press together, sealing the edges. Lightly roll over the top to compress.
- Cut the pastries into 20 strips about 1/2in (12mm) wide. Holding both ends, twist strips into a spiral and place, well spaced, on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- Prepare ahead: The straws can be made a day in advance and kept chilled until ready to bake.
Blue Cheese Straws: Replace the cheeses with 1 cup blue cheese and 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!