Cheesy Spinach Squares
Type: Appetizers and Snacks
Spanakopita, the Greek spinach pie, can be cut into small diamonds or squares and served as an appetizer
Prep Time: 35M, plus cooling
Cooking Time: 1H30M
Serves: makes 12 servings
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 8 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 2lb ( 900g) spinach, rinsed and shredded, but nor dried
- 3 tbsp chopped dill
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 4 large eggs
- 8oz ( 225g) feta cheese, finely crumbled
- freshly ground black pepper
- 10 tbsp butter, melted
- 14 sheets thawed frozen filo dough
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the spinach, and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes, or until wilted. Stir in the dill and parsley, and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes, until the liquid evaporates and the mixture starts to stick to the bottom of the saucepan. Transfer to a colander lined with paper towels, and let cool.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the spinach and feta cheese and season with plenty of pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (170°C). Generously brush the pan with some melted butter. Line the pan with a sheet of filo dough, carefully pressing it into the sides and corners of the pan. Repeat with 6 more filo sheets.
- Spread the spinach mixture into the pan. Repeat layering and buttering the remaining 7 filo sheets. Using kitchen scissors, trim away excess dough, and tuck the filo edges into the pan. Brush the top with any remaining butter. Bake for 1 hour, or until the pastry is crisp and golden brown all over.
- Cut into squares and serve hot or warm.
- 111/2 × 8in (29 × 20cm) baking or roasting pan
- Prepare ahead: The filling can be prepared through step 2, and refrigerated for up to 1 day.
- Good with other Greek or Middle Eastern appetizers, such as hummus and taramasalata, as a mezze platter.
Creamy Spinach Pie: Delete the cheese. After half of the filo has been layered, spread half of the spinach mixture into the pan. Spread with 2 cups cold béchamel sauce and 2 chopped hard-boiled eggs, then the remaining spinach mixture. Finish layering with the remaining filo.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!