Chicken, Leek, and Mushroom Mini Pies
Chicken, leeks, and mushrooms give these mini pies huge flavor.
Prep Time: 55M
Cooking Time: 20M
Serves: Serves 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 8oz (225g) mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1-11/4lb (500g) skinless boneless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme leaves
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 sheets ready-rolled puff pastry
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- mixed green leaves and herbs, for serving
- tomato relish, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Brush two 12-cup mini muffin pans with olive oil. Heat the oil and butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the leek, and cook until wilted. Add the garlic, and cook for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms, and cook, for another 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium. Stir in the diced chicken, thyme, lemon zest, and wine. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until cooked through. Add the cream, and season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook for 5 minutes, until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Cut 24 21/2in (6cm) circles from the puff pastry. Line each mini muffin cup with a pastry circle, and spoon in the chicken mixture. Top each cup with a 2in (5cm) circle cut from the remaining puff pastry. Brush the tops with the egg, and slit with a knife. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Invert the pans onto a wire rack. To serve, divide the pies evenly among 8 warm serving plates. Scatter some mixed leaves and herbs over the top, and place a spoonful of tomato relish on the side. Serve immediately.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!