Chinese-style Salt and Pepper Chicken Drumsticks
Everybody loves chicken drumsticks, and salt and pepper give these a ton of flavor.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 25M
Serves: Serves 4
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp freshly cracked black pepper
- about 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 fresh hot red chile peppers, seeded and sliced into strips lengthwise
- bunch of scallions (green onions), sliced on the diagonal
- lemon wedges, for serving
- Lay the chicken drumsticks in a bamboo or other steamer basket (or use a colander fitted inside a large pot, if you don't have a steamer basket). Place the steamer over a pan of boiling water, cover, and steam for 10-15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan, and let cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Mix together the flour, salt, and pepper. Firmly pat the mixture all over the chicken to coat. Place the drumsticks in a roasting pan with 1 tbsp of vegetable oil, and cook for 10-15 minutes until crispy and golden.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a wok or frying pan over high heat. Add the chiles and scallions, and cook for about 5 minutes until lightly browned at the edges. Remove with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels. To serve, sprinkle the scallion mixture over the hot drumsticks, and garnish with lemon wedges for squeezing.
- Use chicken wings instead of drumsticks-they will need a little less cooking time for both the steaming and roasting.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!