Chutney Chicken Kabobs
Type: Appetizers and Snacks
Sweet and sour chicken recipes are always popular, but when they include chutney and green bell pepper strips, they're really exciting!
Serves: 18 appetizers
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 4 halves)
- 1 can (15 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks in juice, undrained
- 1/4 cup mango chutney
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed fresh garlic
- 36 one-inch scallion pieces (white and light green parts only), or 36 green bell pepper strips (each 1-x-1/2 inch)
- Rinse the chicken with cool water, and pat it dry with paper towels. Cut the chicken breasts lengthwise into 1/3-inch-thick strips. (This will be easiest to do if the meat is partially frozen.) Place the strips in a shallow nonmetal container, and set aside.
- Drain the pineapple, and place 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the juice in a blender. Refrigerate the pineapple chunks until ready to assemble the kabobs.
- To make the marinade, add the chutney, soy sauce, and garlic to the pineapple juice, and process for about 1 minute, or until smooth. Remove 1/4 cup of the marinade, and refrigerate until ready to cook the kabobs. Pour the remaining marinade over the chicken strips, and toss to mix well. Cover the chicken and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, and for up to 24 hours.
- Just before making the kabobs, place 18 six-inch bamboo skewers in a shallow dish, and cover with water. Allow the skewers to soak for 20 minutes. (This will prevent them from burning.)
- Loosely weave 1 long and 1 short chicken strip, 2 pineapple chunks, and 2 pieces of scallion or green pepper onto each skewer. Grill the skewers over medium coals or broil 6 inches under a preheated broiler for about 3 minutes on each side, or until almost done. Baste the kabobs with the reserved marinade and cook for another minute or 2 on each side, or until the meat is nicely browned and no longer pink inside. Serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.