This "caviar" snack prominently features eggplant, tomatoes, and bell peppers.
Serves: Serves: 4
- 1 1/2 pounds eggplant
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 tablespoons vegetable broth, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes with roasted garlic, drained well
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Cut eggplant into 1-inch slices and arrange on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle eggplant with garlic powder and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, until soft.
- Cool slightly; peel and chop eggplant.
- Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; add 3 tablespoons broth and heat over medium-high heat.
- Cook onion and garlic until softened.
- Add bell pepper, and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add chopped eggplant and additional vegetable broth (if needed); stir in diced tomatoes, tomato paste, lemon juice, red wine vinegar and pepper.
- Remove from heat and mix well. Transfer eggplant mixture to bowl or container; cover and refrigerate up to 5 days.
- Serve with crackers, pita crisps or cucumber slices.
- Purchase frozen bell pepper strips or chopped peppers at the supermarket salad bar.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.