Crayfish and Crisp Lettuce Panini with Herbed Mayonnaise
This simple sandwich of crayfish and lettuce is delicious when paired with herbed mayonnaise.
Prep Time: 15M
Serves: Serves 4
- 21/4lb (1kg) cooked crayfish tails
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- juice of 1 lime
- small handful of chopped mixed fresh herbs such as cilantro, Vietnamese mint or basil, and chives
- 1 anchovy fillet in olive oil, drained and minced
- pinch of sugar
- 4 Italian-style crusty bread rolls
- 1 head oakleaf or other butter lettuce, leaves separated
- 2 fresh peaches, pitted and sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- Remove all the meat from the crayfish tails, leaving it in large chunks, if possible. Divide into 4 equal portions, and set aside.
- To make the herbed mayonnaise, combine the mayonnaise, lime juice, herbs, and anchovy in a bowl. Season with pepper, and stir to blend well.
- Slice the rolls in half, but without cutting all the way through. Open them up, and spread with the herbed mayonnaise. Arrange some of the lettuce leaves over the rolls, then put the crayfish on top. Arrange peach slices between the crayfish, then spoon a little more of the mayonnaise over the top. Close up the rolls, and serve immediately.
- Instead of sandwiching this combination in bread rolls, serve as a salad with chopped scallions or red onion over the top. Or add avocado slices and orange segments. For a more savory twist, add steamed asparagus and halved cherry tomatoes.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!