Crisp Sweet Potato Cake with Shaved Zucchini and Chive Mascarpone
These sweet potatoes looks so elegant, nobody will ever guess how easy they are to make.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 25M
Serves: Serves 4
- 11/4lb (550g) sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 8 even discs, about 3/4in (1.9cm) thick
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 zucchini, about 51/2oz (150g)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2/3 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives, plus 8 whole chives
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Put the sweet potatoes in a bowl. Add the 2 tbsp olive oil, and season with salt and pepper, and toss gently to coat. Transfer to a baking sheet, and roast for 25 minutes until golden brown and tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife. Set aside to cool.
- Trim off both ends from the zucchini, then shave into thin slices with a vegetable peeler. Put in a bowl with the lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Toss gently to coat thoroughly.
- Put the mascarpone in a separate bowl, and stir in the chopped chives.
- To serve, place a sweet potato disc in the center of each of 4 serving plates. Divide the zucchini mixture into 4 equal portions, and mound over each sweet potato disc. Place another disc on top, then spoon on the chive mascarpone. Arrange 2 whole chives on top of each serving, and drizzle with a little olive oil. Serve immediately.
- This could be served as a small starter or finger food by using one potato disc for each serving, instead of two. Top each piece with the shaved zucchini and chive mascarpone.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!