Crunchy Veggie Bites
Here's a great way to get everyone eating healthy broccoli and cauliflower florets.
Serves: Serves: 8
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli florets (about 5 cups)
- 2 pounds cauliflower florets (about 4 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 1/2 cups cornflake crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated nonfat Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 475F.
- Line baking sheet(s) with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Place broccoli in microwave-safe dish; add several tablespoons water, cover and microwave 4 to 7 minutes, just until tender-crisp. Repeat with cauliflower. Drain well.
- Combine egg substitute and evaporated skim milk in medium bowl and mix well.
- Combine cornflake crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and pepper on paper plate or plastic bag and toss until well mixed.
- Dip vegetables in egg mixture; roll in crumb mixture until coated. Arrange vegetables in single layer on baking sheet(s) and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until crisp and browned. Vegetables can be frozen; thaw in refrigerator for several hours and reheat in 500F oven 7 to 8 minutes, until heated through.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.