Cucumbers with Mint, Cumin, and Yogurt with Grill Bread
This Greek-style mixture is a wonderful dipping sauce for grilled bread.
Serves: Serves 4 as an appetizer
- 1 recipe Grill Bread, shaped into 4 rounds but not cooked
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled if desired, diced small (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Build a fire in your grill. When the coals are all ignited, the flames have died down, and the temperature is medium (see Gauging the temperature), you're ready to cook.
- Brush the bread rounds with oil on both sides, then place on the grill directly over the coals and cook until nicely toasted and brown on one side (about 4 minutes). Flip the bread over and grill the other side until golden and crusty (3-4 minutes more).
- While the bread is on the grill, combine the cucumber, yogurt, mint, lemon juice, cumin, and salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well.
- Cut the bread into wedges or just set it out so people can tear a piece and spoon the yogurt relish on top.
Excerpted from Grill It!.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!