Type: Appetizers and Snacks
Crisp and delicious, you could make a double batch of these fritters for a party platter
Prep Time: prep 15 mins
Cooking Time: cook 15 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1 envelope ( 1 / 4 oz/ 7g) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (about 110癋/38癈)
- 1 / 3 cup plus 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium zucchini, cut diagonally into 1 / 4 in ( 5mm) slices
- Stir the yeast into the warm water in a small bowl and set aside for 10 minutes, or until foamy.
- Put the flour in a large bowl and make a well in the center. Pour the dissolved yeast into the well and gradually incorporate the flour. Cover with a kitchen towel and let stand at room temperature about 1 hour, until foamy.
- Pour enough oil into a large frying pan to come about one-third up the sides. Heat over high heat until the oil is 350癋 (180癈) on a deep-frying thermometer. Stir down the batter, and season with salt and pepper. Working in batches, dip the zucchini slices in the batter and fry them for 5 minutes on each side, or until golden.
- Drain the fried zucchini slices on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Serve immediately.
- prep 15 mins; cook 15 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!