Dill and Fava Bean Dip
Whip up this dill and fava bean dip next time you are entertaining.
Prep Time: 30M
Cooking Time: 25M
Serves: Serves 8
- 11/2lb (750g) fresh fava beans
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 × 14oz (400g) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 2 scallions (green onions), thinly sliced on the diagonal
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the fava beans from their pods, and slip off the skins. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over low heat. Add the onion, and cook gently for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the fava beans, and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 2 cups water, season with salt and pepper, and partially-cover the pan with a lid. Bring to a gentle simmer, and continue cooking for 25 minutes, mashing the beans a bit as you cook. Drain, and allow to cool.
- Add the cooled fava bean mixture to a food processor. Add the drained cannellini beans, dill, and scallions, and process to a chunky purée. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl, and serve with fresh crusty bread.
- Cheat...Use frozen fava beans instead of fresh. Leave them to defrost first, then slip off their skins, if needed.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!