Eggplant Rolls with Ricotta and Salsa
Eggplant , ricotta, and salsa taste delicious all rolled up together.
Prep Time: 20M
Cooking Time: 20M
Serves: Serves 4
- 12-14oz (400g) eggplant
- about 1 cup toasted bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 garlic clove, crushed through a press
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 11/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 9oz (250g) ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp prepared pesto, store-bought or homemade
For the tomato salsa
- 3 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- small handful flat-leaf parsley leaves
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the eggplant lengthwise 8 even slices about 1/4in (5mm) thick. Lightly salt them, and sandwich between paper towels for about 10 minutes. Put the eggplant slices in a colander, rinse well, and drain. Pat dry with paper towels. Put the bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, and Parmesan cheese in a large flat dish. Mix until well combined. Put the lightly beaten eggs in another flat dish, and the flour in a third. Dip the eggplant first in the flour, then in the egg, and finally in the bread crumbs, ensuring they are evenly coated.
- Heat the olive oil in 2 heavy frying pans over medium heat, using half of the oil in each one. Divide the slices among the 2 pans, and cook for 2-4 minutes on each side until golden. Alternatively, cook in 2 batches. Drain on a baking sheet lined with paper towels, and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, put the ricotta and pesto in a bowl, and mix together with a fork. To make the tomato salsa, combine the tomato slices, parsley, and 1 tbsp olive oil in another bowl. Season with salt and pepper, and stir gently to mix.
- To serve, put 1 tbsp of the ricotta mixture toward the end of each of the eggplant slices. Roll each into a cylinder, and secure with a heavy toothpick. Place 2 rolls in the center of each of 4 serving plates, and pile the tomato salsa over the top. Alternatively, arrange the eggplant rolls in a single row on a long narrow serving dish, and serve at the table with the salsa in a bowl, for your guests to help themselves.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!