This delicious Middle Eastern snack features spiced chickpeas formed into cakes that fry up quickly.
Serves: serves 4
- 8 oz (250 g) dried chickpeas
- 2 Spanish onions, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground fennel
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp flour (optional)
- 3-4 tbsp sunflower oil
- paprika to garnish
- Soak the chickpeas in water for several hours, until they double in size. Change the water as often as you can during the soaking, to reduce the likelihood of their causing flatulence.
- Blend the chickpeas with a little of their cooking water to a smooth paste.
- Add the onions and parsley to the chickpeas and blend again for a few seconds.
- Add the ground spices, baking powder, crushed garlic, and salt and pepper.
- Knead the mixture for a moment or two to mix the ingredients well, then let it rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Take small pieces and form into little flat cakes about 2 inches across. If they are sticky, roll them in a little flour.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and fry for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Drain on paper towels, sprinkle with paprika, and serve hot or cold.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!