Type: Appetizers and Snacks
Picante sauce is spicy, but these rollups are superb!
Serves: 48 appetizers
- 1/4 cup nonfat or light sour cream
- 1/4 cup bottled picante sauce
- 8 flour tortillas (10-inch rounds)
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat or reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 pound thinly sliced roasted turkey breast, or 1 pound thinly sliced ham, at least 97% lean
- 8 ounces thinly sliced nonfat or reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 8 large fresh lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives
- 24 very thin slices tomato
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- Place the sour cream and picante sauce in a small bowl. Stir to mix well, and set aside.
- Arrange the tortillas on a flat surface, and spread each with 3 tablespoons of cream cheese, extending the cheese to the outer edges. Lay 2 ounces of sliced turkey or ham over the bottom half only of each tortilla, leaving a 1-inch margin on each outer edge. Place 1 ounce of Cheddar over the turkey, and spread with 1 tablespoon of the sour cream-picante mixture. Arrange 1 lettuce leaf over the cheese, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of olives. Arrange 3 tomato slices over the olive layer, and top with 1 tablespoon of scallions.
- Starting at the bottom, roll each tortilla up tightly. Cut a 1 1/4-inch piece off each end, and discard. Slice the remainder of each tortilla into six 1 1/4-inch pieces. Arrange the rolls on a platter and serve immediately, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 8 hours before serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.