Garlic and Herb Bagel Chips
You can buy garlic and herb bagel chips in the supermarket, but the homemade kind are so much better!
Serves: 8 servings
- 4 large whole wheat or oat bran bagels (about 4 ounces each)
- Nonstick garlic-flavored cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- Slice the bagels diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Set aside.
- Coat a large baking sheet with garlic-flavored cooking spray. Arrange the chips on the sheet in a single layer. Spray the tops of the chips lightly with the cooking spray, and sprinkle with half of the dried seasoning. Bake at 350°F for 5 minutes. Turn the chips over, spray again, and sprinkle with the remaining seasoning. Bake for 3 to 5 additional minutes, or until lightly browned and crisp. Cool to room temperature.
- Serve the chips with dips and spreads, or as an accompaniment to soups and salads.
- For variety, make these chips with other types of bagels, such as onion, sun-dried tomato, and spinach.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.