Grilled Asparagus and Pancetta
Asparagus tastes great when it is paired with pancetta.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 5M
Serves: Serves 4
- 12 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 24 thin slices pancetta
- 1 small radicchio, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 head butter lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups loosely-packed arugula (rocket) leaves
- 7oz (200g) cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup (100g) freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
For the dressing
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Blanch the asparagus in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain, and immediately refresh the asparagus in a bowl of ice water. When cool, drain again.
- Heat a ridged cast-iron grill pan or griddle until hot. Wrap 2 slices of the pancetta around each asparagus spear. Grill the asparagus spears, turning once, for 3-4 minutes or until the pancetta is golden and beginning to char. Set aside.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the garlic, oil, vinegar, orange juice, and mustard in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, and whisk again.
- Toss together the salad leaves, tomatoes, and dressing in a bowl, and divide evenly among 4 shallow bowls or plates. Top each with 3 of the asparagus wraps, and sprinkle the Parmesan shavings over the top. Serve immediately.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!