Grilled Chicken and Fig Skewers with Parsley-Pine Nut Condiment
With jammy fresh figs and a relish that features rich pine nuts and the gentle astringency of parsley, this dish is a feast of Mediterranean flavors.
Serves: Serves 4
- 2lb (900g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1in (2.5cm) cubes
- 8 fresh ripe figs, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 recipe Parsley-Pine Nut Condiment
- Build a fire in your grill. When the coals are all ignited, the flames have died down, and the temperature is medium-hot (see Gauging the temperature), you're ready to cook.
- Rub the chicken cubes and fig halves with the oil, sprinkle them generously with salt and pepper, and thread them alternately onto skewers so that the fig halves lie flat on their cut sides. Put them on the grill directly over the coals and cook until the figs are nicely browned and the chicken is just done (6-7 minutes per side). To check for doneness, cut into one of the cubes of chicken to be sure it is opaque right through.
- When the skewers are done, transfer them to a platter and serve, passing the relish on the side.
Excerpted from Grill It!.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!