The rich flavor and jammy texture of grilled figs matches perfectly with tangy blue cheese and lightly crisped ham.
Serves: Serves 4 as an appetizer
- 8 fresh ripe figs, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 8 slices Serrano ham (or substitute prosciutto), halved lengthwise into strips
- 4oz (115g) Cabrales or other blue cheese of your choice, crumbled
- Build a fire in your grill. When the coals are all ignited, the flames have died down, and the temperature is medium (see Gauging the temperature), you're ready to cook.
- Toss the figs with the olive oil in a medium bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on the grill directly over the coals, cut side down, and cook until just nicely browned (3-4 minutes).
- Put the ham on the grill directly over the coals and cook just until crispy (about 1 minute).
- Top each fig with some of the cheese and the crisp ham. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Excerpted from Grill It!.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!