Grilled Mussels with Mango Curry Sauce
Mussels are wonderful on the grill, and are complemented perfectly by a tasty flavorful mango curry sauce.
Serves: Serves 4 to 6 as an appetizer
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon good-quality curry powder
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup mango juice (or substitute equal parts orange juice and pineapple juice)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chile peppers of your choice
- 4lb (2kg) mussels (about 45-50), scrubbed and debearded
- 4 slices of good French bread, about 1in (2.5cm) thick
- Juice of 2 limes (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Light a fire well over to one side of your grill (see Multilevel charcoal fire), using enough coals to fill a shoebox. When the coals are all ignited, the flames have died down, and the temperature is hot (see Gauging the temperature), you're ready to cook.
- Make the sauce: Put the butter, curry powder, and ginger in a shallow foil pan that is large enough to hold all the mussels and sturdy enough to withstand the heat of the fire. Place the pan on the grill near the fire-not directly over it-and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring a few times, until the butter is melted and the mixture is fragrant. Add the mango juice and chiles, let the sauce come to a simmer, then slide the pan to the side of the grill away from the fire.
- Put the mussels directly on the grill grid on the hot side of the grill and cook until they pop open (6-8 minutes). Use tongs to transfer the mussels to the pan with the sauce as they are done. (Discard any that do not open.)
- While the mussels are cooking, arrange the bread slices around the perimeter of the fire and cook until lightly toasted-about 2 minutes per side.
- When all the mussels are in the pan, stir them around a bit to coat with the sauce and sprinkle with the lime juice, cilantro, and salt and pepper. Serve them right out of the pan, along with the toasted bread to soak up the juices.
Excerpted from Grill It!.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!