Grilled Scallop Skewers with Pineapple-Curry Relish
Scallops are easy and quick on the grill, and the pineapple-curry relish gives them an interesting and delicious flavor.
Serves: Serves 4 as an appetizer
- 1lb (450g) medium sea scallops (about 16 scallops)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 recipe Pineapple-Curry Relish
- Build a fire in your grill. When the coals are all ignited, the flames have died down, and the temperature is hot (see Gauging the temperature), you're ready to cook.
- Rub the scallops with the olive oil and sprinkle them generously with salt and pepper. Thread the scallops onto skewers so that they lie flat, put them on the grill directly over the coals, and cook until they are just opaque throughout (3-4 minutes per side). To check for doneness, poke the scallops with your finger to test their firmness (see The "hand method"); if you're unsure, cut carefully into one of the scallops to be sure it is just opaque all the way through.
- When the scallops are done, transfer the skewers to a platter and serve, passing the relish on the side.
Excerpted from Grill It!.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!