Grilled Shrimp, Bacon, and Asiago Pizzas
Shrimp, bacon, and cheese make the perfect toppings for homemade pizza.
Serves: Serves 4 to 6 as an appetizer
- 12 medium-large (16/20) shrimp, peeled, deveined, and halved lengthwise
- 6 slices bacon, diced small
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 recipe Grill Bread, shaped into 4 rounds but not cooked
- 1 cup grated Asiago or other hard Italian cheese, such as Parmigiano Reggiano
- On the stove top, cook the bacon in a sauté pan over medium heat until crisp (6-8 minutes). Drain well.
- Build a fire in your grill. When the coals are all ignited, the flames have died down, and the temperature is medium (see Gauging the temperature), you're ready to cook.
- Combine the shrimp, bacon, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, thyme, and salt and pepper in a bowl and mix until the shrimp and bacon are evenly coated.
- Brush the bread rounds on both sides with the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil, then place them on the grill directly over the coals and cook until nicely toasted and brown on one side (about 4 minutes). Flip the bread over and top each round with some of the shrimp mixture, then scatter the cheese on top. Invert a foil pan over the pizzas, and continue to cook until the shrimp are just cooked through and the cheese is starting to melt(3-4 minutes more).
- Cut the pizzas into wedges with a large, sharp knife. Arrange on a platter, and serve.
Excerpted from Grill It!.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!