Type: Appetizers and Snacks
The yogurt in this recipe gives the hummus an untraditional texture, but the flavor is true hummus!
Serves: 1 3/4 cups (1 Tablespoon servings)
- 1 can (19 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained, or 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt
- 3-4 tablespoons toasted sesame tahini
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed fresh garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Place the chickpeas, yogurt, tahini, lemon juice, cumin, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor, and process until smooth, scraping down the sides occasionally. Add the parsley, and process until the ingredients are well mixed and the parsley is finely chopped. Transfer the mixture to a serving dish, cover, and chill for several hours.
- Serve with wedges of pita bread or whole grain crackers, or use as a sandwich filling.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.