Hot Artichoke Appetizers
You have to marinate the artichokes overnight for this appetizer recipe. The longer they soak, the better they taste!
Serves: 40 appetizers
- 3 packages (10 ounces each) frozen artichoke hearts, thawed, or 3 cans (14 ounces each) artichoke hearts, drained
- Five 4-inch square slices (1 ounce each) ham, at least 97% lean
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar or honey
- If the artichoke hearts are large, cut them into quarters. If they are small, cut them in half. You should have about 40 pieces.
- Place all of the marinade ingredients in a blender, and process for 30 seconds, or until smooth. Place the artichoke hearts in a shallow dish, and pour the marinade over them. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Cut each ham slice into eight 1/2-inch strips. Drain the artichoke hearts, and discard the marinade. Wrap a ham strip around each artichoke piece, and secure with a wooden toothpick.
- Arrange the wrapped artichokes in a shallow baking dish, and bake at 350°F for 10 to 15 minutes, or until thoroughly heated. Transfer to a serving platter, and serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.