Serve this Middle Eastern chickpea dip with pita bread and olives for a delicious lunch or party snack.
Serves: serves 4
- 3/4 cup soaked chickpeas
- juice of 2 lemons
- 3 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- sea salt
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- pita bread, olives, and trimmed radishes, for serving
- Wash the chickpeas and soak in a big bowl of water the night before, or 6-8 hours before you need them.
- Drain the chickpeas and put in a big pan of fresh water, bring to a boil, and simmer for about an hour, or until soft. Drain, saving the cooking water.
- Put in a blender or food processor with a little of their cooking liquid, gradually adding enough to make a thick paste.
- Add the lemon juice, tahini, and garlic. Season with salt to taste.
- Serve with a swirl of olive oil over the surface and a sprinkle of paprika. Cover and chill. Accompany with hot pita bread, a bowl of mixed black and green olives, and radishes complete with their leaves.
- Serve this famous Middle Eastern chickpea dip with whole-wheat pita bread and olives. In a pinch, it can be made with chickpeas out of a can, but dried chickpeas taste much better.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!