Type: Appetizers and Snacks
Turkey breast, mozzarella, artichokes, and other exciting ingredients make these rollups truly Italian.
Serves: 48 appetizers
- 8 flour tortillas (10-inch rounds)
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat or reduced-fat cream cheese (plain or garlic-and-herb flavor)
- 1 pound thinly sliced roasted turkey breast, or 1 pound thinly sliced ham, at least 97% lean
- 8 ounces thinly sliced nonfat or reduced-fat mozzarella cheese or reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup bottled nonfat creamy Italian or roasted garlic salad dressing
- 48 fresh tender spinach or arugula leaves
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped black olives
- 32 1/4-inch-thick strips commercial roasted red pepper (about one 7-ounce jar)
- 4 thin slices red onion, separated into rings
- 9 ounces frozen (thawed) artichoke hearts,
- chopped, or 1 can (14 ounces) artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- Arrange the tortillas on a flat surface, and spread each with 3 tablespoons of cream cheese, extending the cheese to the outer edges. Lay 2 ounces of sliced turkey or ham over the bottom half only of each tortilla, leaving a 1-inch margin on each outer edge. Place 1 ounce of sliced cheese over the meat, and spread with 1 tablespoon of the dressing. Arrange 6 spinach or arugula leaves over the cheese, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of olives. Arrange 4 red pepper strips and a few onion rings over the olive layer, and top with 3 tablespoons of artichoke hearts.
- Starting at the bottom, roll each tortilla up tightly. Cut a 1 1/4-inch piece off each end, and discard. Slice the remainder of each tortilla into six 1 1/4-inch pieces. Arrange the rolls on a platter and serve immediately, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 8 hours before serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.