Mexican Bean Dip
This layered bean dip is designed to be pretty. Serve it to company!
Serves: 2 1/2 cups (1 Tablespoon servings)
- 1 can (1 pound) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup nonfat or light sour cream
- 2-3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pickled jalapeņo peppers
- Place the beans, sour cream, chili powder, and cumin in a food processor or blender, and process until smooth. Spread the mixture over the bottom of a 9-inch glass pie pan. Top with the cheese, followed by the scallions, olives, and jalapeņos, in that order.
- Serve at room temperature or hot. If using a microwave oven, heat uncovered on high power for 5 minutes, or until the edges are bubbly and the cheese is melted. If using a conventional oven, cover loosely with foil and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. Serve with baked tortilla chips.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.