Mini Reuben Melts
Type: Appetizers and Snacks
These mini reuben sandwiches sport a tangy dressing, bubbling cheese, and delicious meat. Don't expect leftovers!
Serves: 24 appetizers
- 6 slices (1 ounce each) reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup bottled nonfat Thousand Island salad dressing
- 24 slices cocktail rye bread
- 24 thin slices (about 8 ounces) corned beef or turkey pastrami, at least 97% lean
- 3/4 cup well-drained sauerkraut
- Cut each slice of cheese into 4 squares, and set aside. Spread 1 teaspoon of Thousand Island dressing on each piece of bread, and top with 1 slice of corned beef or pastrami, folding the slice as necessary to accommodate the shape of the bread. Top with 1/2 tablespoon of sauerkraut and 1 square of cheese.
- Place the Reubens on a baking sheet, and bake at 350°F for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the Reubens are hot. Transfer to a serving platter, and serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.