Mixed Mushroom and Walnut Tart
Mix mushrooms and walnuts to make a scrumptious tart everyone will love.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 1H
Serves: Serves 6
- 1 sheet prepared dough for an 8-9in (20-23cm) pie
- all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, plus 1 extra yolk, lightly beaten, for egg wash
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 5oz (140g) fresh exotic or wild mushrooms (such as porcini or shiitake), coarsely chopped
- 7oz (200g) cultivated mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup walnut halves and pieces, coarsely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Roll out the pastry on a floured work surface, and use to line a 14 ื 5in (35 ื 12.5cm) fluted rectangular tart pan with a removable bottom. Trim away the excess, line the pastry shell with parchment paper, and fill with pie weights or dry beans. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the edges are golden. Remove the beans and paper, brush the bottom of the shell with a little of the egg wash, and return to the oven for 2-3 minutes to crisp. Remove from the oven and set aside. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (180°C).
- Heat the oil in a large deep-sided frying pan over low heat. Add the mushrooms, garlic, and walnuts, and season well with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes until the mushrooms release their juices. Add the spinach, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until just wilted. Spoon the mixture into the pastry shell.
- Mix together the cream and the 2 eggs. Season well with salt and pepper. Carefully pour the cream mixture over the mushroom filling. Season with a pinch of pepper, and bake for 15-20 minutes until set. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing the sides from the pan. Serve hot or cold.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!