Moroccan Spiced Flatbreads
Best eaten on the day they are made, these breads can be baked in the oven or cooked on a ridged grill pan
Prep Time: prep 25 mins, plus rising
Cooking Time: cook 15 mins
Serves: makes 8 flatbreads
- 1 1 / 2 tsp cumin seeds, plus more for garnish
- 1 1 / 2 tsp ground coriander
- 3 1 / 4 cups bread flour, plus more for kneading
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 / 2 cup drained and crushed canned chickpeas
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 1 / 4 cups tepid water
- 2 / 3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus more for the bowl and brushing
- Toast the cumin seeds and coriander in a dry pan over medium heat for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Transfer to a large bowl and cool. Add the flour, yeast, and salt and stir. Mix in the chickpeas and cilantro. Make a well in the center, add the water and yogurt, and stir to make a sticky dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured work surface about 8 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Shape into a ball. Place in an oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Lightly dust 2 large baking sheets with flour. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and cut into 8 equal pieces. Using a rolling pin, flatten out into ovals about 1/4in (5mm) thick. Place on the baking sheets. Brush each with oil and sprinkle with cumin seeds. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the breads are golden and puffed.
- prep 25 mins, plus rising; cook 15 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!