Oven-Fried Zucchini Fingers
This zucchini appetizer is perfect before an Italian dinner, or just for an afternoon snack!
Serves: 32 appetizers
- 4 medium zucchini (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Nonstick olive oil cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups bottled marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fat-free egg substitute, or 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup skim or low-fat milk
- CRUMB COATING
- 3 1/4 cups corn flakes
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese*
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- * In this recipe, use regular Parmesan cheese, not a fat-free product.
- Rinse the zucchini, pat dry, and trim and discard the ends. Quarter each zucchini lengthwise; then cut each piece in half crosswise. You should now have 32 zucchini fingers, each about 31/2 inches long.
- To make the batter, place all of the batter ingredients in a shallow dish, and stir with a wire whisk to mix well. Set aside.
- To make the coating, place the corn flakes in a food processor or blender, and process into crumbs. (You should have about 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of crumbs. Adjust the amount if necessary.) Transfer the crumbs to a shallow dish, and stir in the remaining coating ingredients. Set aside.
- Coat a large baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray. Dip the zucchini fingers, 1 at a time, first in the batter and then in the crumb coating mixture, turning to coat all sides. Arrange the zucchini fingers in a single layer on the prepared sheet.
- Spray the zucchini fingers lightly with the cooking spray, and bake at 400°F for about 15 minutes, or until the zucchini is golden brown and crisp.
- While the zucchini is baking, place the sauce in a small pot and cook over medium heat until heated through. Arrange the zucchini on a serving platter, and serve hot, accompanied by the bowl of hot sauce.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.