This recipe is an exciting combination of crunchy seasonal vegetables, pickled in an herb and spice vinegar
Prep Time: prep 20 mins, plus standing
Serves: makes 5 1pt (450g) jars
- 2lb ( 900g) mixed seasonal vegetables such as small cucumbers, small onions, cauliflower, trimmed green beans, and small green tomatoes
- 1 / 4 cup kosher salt
For the vinegar
- 1qt (1 liter) malt vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp allspice berries
- 1 tsp crushed hot red pepper
- One 1 / 2 in (13mm) slice fresh ginger, crushed
- 4 bay leaves
- 8 whole cloves
- Cut your chosen vegetables into bite-sized pieces. Place the vegetables in a large nonreactive bowl, and toss with the salt. Cover and let stand in a cool place for 24 hours.
- For the vinegar, combine the vinegar, peppercorns, allspice, hot pepper, ginger, bay leaves, and cloves in a large nonreactive saucepan. Heat over low heat just until the vinegar is hot. Do not simmer or boil. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
- Have ready five hot, sterilized 1pt (450g) glass canning jars and lids. Drain the vegetables thoroughly, but do not rinse. Pack the vegetables into the jars. Strain the vinegar and discard the solids. Cover the vegetables with the spiced vinegar. Cover the jars with their lids. Let stand in a cool, dark place for at least 1 month before serving. After opening, store in the refrigerator and eat within 1 week.
- prep 20 mins, plus standing
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!