Pimento Cheese Spread
Type: Appetizers and Snacks
Pimentos contrast with the garlic and mustard found in this cheese spread.
Serves: 1 1/2 cups (1 Tablespoon servings)
- 2/3 cup nonfat or low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup nonfat or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons spicy mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed fresh garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 jar (4 ounces) chopped pimentos, well drained, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded nonfat or reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Place the cottage cheese, mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, pepper, and half of the pimentos in a food processor or blender, and process until smooth. Add the onion and Cheddar cheese, and process to the desired consistency. Stir in the remaining pimentos. Transfer the spread to a serving dish, cover, and chill for several hours.
- Serve with whole grain crackers, or use as a filling for finger sandwiches or celery.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.