Pita Party Pizzas
Type: Appetizers and Snacks
These simple pizzas are so easy to make that your kids may be able to handle them on their own, but watch the ovens!
Serves: 24 appetizers
- 4 whole wheat or oat bran pita pockets (6-inch rounds)
- 3/4 cup bottled marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated nonfat or regular Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 thin slices onion, separated into rings
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Arrange the pita pockets on a flat surface. Spread 3 tablespoons of the marinara sauce on top of each pita pocket. Top with a quarter of the Parmesan cheese followed by a quarter of the mozzarella cheese, a quarter of the mushrooms, and a few onion rings. Sprinkle with a quarter of the Italian seasoning.
- Arrange the pita pizzas on a baking sheet, and bake at 400°F for about 12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and lightly browned. Cut each pizza into 6 pieces, transfer to a serving platter, and serve hot.
- Variations: In addition to or instead of the cheese, mushrooms, and onions, top the pizzas with thinly sliced yellow squash, broccoli florets, diced Canadian bacon, or cooked turkey Italian sausage.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.