Pita bread pizzas are a healthy and quick alternative to using carb-loaded pizza dough, and your kids will love to cook them with you.
Serves: serves 1
- 1 whole-wheat pita bread
- 1 medium-sized tomato, sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a good pinch of dried oregano
- 1 tbsp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Heat the broiler to red-hot.
- Toast the pita on one side for a minute or two, and remove from the broiler.
- Turn the bread over, and top with sliced tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste, oregano, and the grated cheese.
- Drizzle the oil over the top, and return to the broiler.
- The pizza will be done in 2-3 minutes.
- Made with whole-wheat pita bread, this is a superfast, healthy variation on pizza. Try any of the classic pizza toppings, such as anchovies, black olives, thinly sliced onion, slivers of red or green pepper, thin slices of mushroom, diced ham, or slices of pepperoni. This recipe serves one, but it can easily be multiplied to serve more.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!