Pork Meatballs with Tomatoes
Homemade pork meatballs paired with tomatoes will quickly become a household favorite.
Prep Time: 30M
Cooking Time: 1H
Serves: Serves 6-8
- 3 large onions, finely diced
- 21/4lb (1kg) lean ground pork
- handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 large beefsteak tomatoes
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- Put the onions, ground pork, parsley, cayenne, thyme, eggs, and flour in a mixing bowl, season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then mix together with your hands for 5 minutes, or until you have a chunky paste. Chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to firm the mixture a little. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Take handfuls of the mixture and roll into balls about 2in (5cm) in diameter, making approximately 24 balls. Place them in a large non-stick baking pan. Cut the tomatoes in half and place them skin-side down with the meatballs, so each meatball is in between tomatoes. Drizzle with the oil, sprinkle with the oregano, then cover the tray with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and cook for another 30 minutes, or until nicely browned. Serve with crusty bread and salad.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!