Potato and Paprika Omelet
Potato and paprika give this omelet a tasty kick.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 55M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1lb (450g) all-purpose waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into slices 1/2in (1cm) thick
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp paprika
- 6 large eggs
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a nonstick frying pan 10in (25cm) wide and 2in (5cm) deep. Add the potatoes and cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until beginning to soften but not brown. Carefully remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook slowly for 10-15 minutes or until beginning to soften but not brown. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and add to the potatoes with the paprika. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Discard all but 3 tbsp of the oil and return the pan to the heat until hot.
- Meanwhile, break the eggs into a mixing bowl and beat with a fork. Season well with salt and pepper, add to the potatoes and onion mixture, stirring gently to mix. Scrape the mixture into the frying pan and cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until set, then place under a hot broiler until the top turns golden. Leave to rest for 5 minutes, then carefully transfer to a serving plate. Slice and serve hot or cold.
- To remove the omelet from the pan, first be sure it's not stuck to the sides or the bottom; then place a large plate over the top and hold it firmly in place while quickly inverting the pan.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!