Potato Skins with Cheddar and Bacon
Type: Appetizers and Snacks
Presented this way, these baked potatoes are a real treat
Prep Time: 50M
Cooking Time: 25M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 4 medium baking potatoes, scrubbed
- 7oz ( 200g) bacon, rind removed, cut into sticks
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- scant 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Prick the potato skins all over with a fork. Bake in the oven for about 45-50 minutes, until tender. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (180°C).
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a frying pan over medium-high heat about 4 minutes until golden. Add the shallots and cook until they soften, about 1 minute more.
- Slice off the top third of each potato, horizontally. Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh into a large bowl. Reserve the hollowed-out skins and place in a lightly oiled baking dish.
- Mash the potato with a potato masher. Add the milk and butter, and beat until smooth. Stir in the Cheddar and bacon mixture along with the parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture back into the potato skins and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the filling is heated through and golden on top. Serve hot with extra chopped parsley sprinkled on top, if desired.
Potato Skins with Crab: Mix the mashed potato with a 16oz (168g) can crabmeat, drained, 3 chopped scallions, 1 chopped fresh small red chile, 1/4 cup crï¿½me fraï¿½che, and 2 tbsp chopped cilantro. Spoon back into the skins and bake as above.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!