Roast Pumpkin and Ricotta Crostini
Roast pumpkin and ricotta are scrumptious on top of a crostini.
Prep Time: 20M
Cooking Time: 50M
Serves: Serves 16
- about 1lb (450g) kabocha squash (Japanese pumpkin), peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves picked and chopped
- 7oz (200g) ricotta cheese
- 4 sprigs of fresh lemon-scented thyme, leaves picked
For the crostini
- about 2 tbsp olive oil
- 16 slices crusty baguette
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, peeled but left whole
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). To make the crostini, pour 2 tbsp olive oil over a baking sheet, then gently press the bread into the oil on both sides. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven, and lightly rub each slice with the garlic clove. Set aside on a wire rack to cool.
- Put the pumpkin on a baking sheet, and toss with the olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper, then roast for about 35 minutes until tender and golden. Leave to cool slightly.
- To serve, in a bowl, combine the ricotta, thyme, and a little lemon juice. Spoon a little of the ricotta mixture onto each of the crostini, and top with a chunk of roasted pumpkin, squeezing it a little with your fingers before putting it in place. Arrange on a large serving dish or platter, and serve.
- For a sweet and sour flavor, sprinkle a little good-quality balsamic vinegar over the pumpkin just before roasting.
- Use ordinary fresh thyme leaves if you can't find the lemon-scented variety.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!