Roasted Eggplant Dip with Pine Nuts
Combine eggplant and pine nuts to make this tasty dish.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 45M
Serves: Serves 4
- 2 large eggplants
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- small handful of fresh oregano, leaves picked (optional)
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup pine nuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Greek-style plain yogurt
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat an outdoor grill or grill pan until very hot. Pierce each eggplant several times with a knife. Place the whole eggplants on the grill and cook, turning occasionally, for 30-45 minutes until the skin is charred and blistered; it will become quite black. Remove from the heat and let cool before peeling the skin and chopping the flesh.
- Put the eggplant, garlic, oregano (if using), lemon zest and juice, and oil in a food processor, and process, pulsing the machine on and off, to a chunky spread. Transfer to a bowl, and stir in the pine nuts and yogurt. Season with salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Serve with torn chunks of sourdough bread or toasted baguette slices.
- You could always roast the eggplants in the oven at 400°F (200°C) for about 30 minutes.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!