Salt Cod and Red Pepper Dip
Mix up your menu with this salt cod and red pepper dip.
Prep Time: 25M
Cooking Time: 1H
Serves: Serves 12
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red or white onion, finely chopped
- 1 × 14oz (400g) can crushed peeled tomatoes
- about 1lb (450g) salt cod
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh marjoram
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- good handful of fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- good handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Slice the tops off the peppers, and remove the seeds and membrane. Put a garlic clove and half of the chopped onion in the cavity of each pepper. Place the peppers on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for about 1 hour. Remove from the oven, and set aside to cool.
- Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy frying pan over low heat. Add the onion, and cook for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the can of crushed tomatoes, including the juices, and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, slice the skin off the salt cod, and flake the flesh into chunks. Add to the tomato sauce after the 10 minutes' cooking time, and cook gently for another 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Put the cooled peppers (with garlic and onion) in a food processor with the cooled tomato and cod mixture. Working in batches if necessary, purée until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the marjoram, dill, basil, parsley, and lemon juice, to blend well. Serve with crostini, broken pieces of toasted bread, or grilled Turkish flat bread.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!