Type: Appetizers and Snacks
Serve these at a cocktail party-they are a sure bet to disappear
Prep Time: prep 40 mins, plus chilling
Cooking Time: cook 10-12 mins
Serves: makes 24 rolls
- 1 / 2 package thawed frozen puff pastry
- 1 1 / 2 lb ( 675g) bulk pork sausage
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the puff pastry on a lightly floured work surface into a 12in (30cm) square. Cut in half.
- Combine the sausage, onion, thyme, lemon zest, mustard, and egg yolk, and season with salt and pepper.
- Beat the egg. Form half of the sausage mixture into a 12in (30cm) long sausage shape. Place in the center of one pastry strip. Brush the pastry with beaten egg, roll up to enclose the sausage, and pinch the seam closed. Repeat with the remaining pastry and sausage mixture. Cut each roll crosswise into 12 pieces.
- Place the rolls, seam down, on the baking sheet. Using kitchen scissors, snip 2 cuts in the top of each roll. Brush with beaten egg. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.
- prep 40 mins, plus chilling; cook 10-12 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!