Scallop and Pesto Crostini
These stylish canapés can also be served as a simple appetizer
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 7 mins
Serves: makes 12 crostini
- 12 slices Italian bread, such as ciabatta, about 3 / 4 in ( 2cm) thick
- 1 / 2 garlic clove
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 sea scallops
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp store-bought pesto
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 12 fresh basil leaves, to garnish
- Preheat the broiler and position the broiler rack about 6in (15cm) from the source of heat. Broil the bread slices in the broiler until toasted golden on both sides. Rub one side of each slice with the garlic clove. Brush the garlic side of each slice with about 2 tsp olive oil.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the scallops, sprinkle with the lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 2 minutes on each side, or until cooked through and tender; keep hot.
- Spread one half of each toasted bread slice with pesto and the other half with tomato paste.
- Cut each scallop in half horizontally and put 1 scallop half on top of each crostini. Grind black pepper over the top. Serve hot, garnished with basil leaves.
- prep 10 mins; cook 7 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!